Wellbeing Advice & Support

The annual Young Creative Awards always gives a colourful snapshot of the issues and themes that are occupying the minds of Nottingham’s young creatives, and this year has been no different.

Indeed, our judges have been struck by the imaginative and creative ways that young people have approached the challenges of Covid-19 and the lockdown this year.

We know that life has not been easy for many people recently, and that creative activities can be a very positive way of expressing worries and fears. The creative process can also cause us to reflect on what frightens us.

If you do have worries at this time, or if creating your entry has caused you to reflect on your own anxieties, there are many organisations you can contact who will always want to hear from you. 

Here are some links you may find helpful:

Young Minds is the UK’s leading charity fighting for children and young people’s mental health. Their website has excellent advice and support on how to take better care of yourself:

Childline is a free service to help anyone under 19 in the UK with any issue they’re going through. Whether it’s something big or small, Childline’s trained counsellors are there to support you.

Kooth provides online counselling and free, safe, anonymous support for children and young people.

The Mix is the UK’s leading support service for young people. They can help you to take on any challenge you are facing - from mental health to money, from homelessness to finding a job, from break-ups to drugs. 

The Samaritans offers a safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way – about whatever’s getting to you.

Shout is the UK’s first 24/7 text service, free on all major mobile networks, for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. 

Cruse Bereavement Care offers telephone advice, email and website support for anyone who is dealing with grief or loss.

There is also specialist support out there for creative people. For instance the Film and TV Charity has a 24 helpline  as does Help Musicians UK.

If you are ever worried about your safety or the safety of others, speak to a trusted adult such as a parent, guardian, teacher or GP, present at your local A&E Department (providing this is appropriate) or, in an emergency, dial 999.